It’s easy to extend functionality of Firefox by using its about:config page. In this tutorial, we will be adding bitcoin: URI handler so that Firefox is able to open a chosen Bitcoin client to use the address and open it.
- Type about:config in Firefox address bar.
- Confirm by clicking “I’ll be careful, I promise” button, if Firefox complains about warranty void. (If you have already used about:config, then this warning does not appear)
- Search for “handler.expose”
- Right click anywhere on empty space and add new Boolean value
- Write in “network.protocol-handler.expose.bitcoin”
- Write in “false” for value
- Click a bitcoin: URI link and Firefox will ask you about Bitcoin software (client) to use
- Select Bitcoin client by locating it on a drive (look in /usr/bin/ on Ubuntu or C:Program Files on Windows)
- Test by donating any Bitcoin amount, if this article helped you: bitcoin:1EuuVdEUe6zPCdpFW5HWGPWBRatYEJ7A5P